Athletic Activities In Chicago
While most assume Chicagoans hibernate in winter, they do get fairly active when the weather gets nice.
- Explore on two wheels. While the lakefront trail is Chicagos original bike path, 606 Trail is an excellent alternative for those who live further west. A 2.7-mile converted elevated railroad, it crosses Northside neighborhoods and has been revamped with green space and interactive art.
- Kayak the river. Is there anything cooler than paddling amongst skyscrapers? A variety of downtown kayak tours are offered to give a lay of the land. These cover the citys architecture and history, ghosts and gangsters and sunrise and sunset.
- Try whirlyball. Chicagos signature team sport, Whirlyball is a cross between lacrosse and basketball in bumper cars. Its truly a memorable activity.
- Join a league. Chicago Sport and Social Club is one of the best ways to meet people and get a workout. Beach volleyball is a popular sport, along with co-ed kickball and Chicagos signature 16 softball.
Chicago Weather Will Heavily Influence Your Wardrobe Commute And Life
Theres nothing like the bone-chilling wind after it whips off the lake and bounces off a few skyscrapers. It gets cold in Chicago very, very cold. So cold that Chicago-area schools have been known to close for cold days as much as snow days because its actually dangerous for students to go outside. Here are a few ways to prepare for those harsh, subzero winters:
What Was The Weather Like During The Great Chicago Fire
This year marks the 150th anniversary of the Great Chicago Fire. What was the weather like during the three-day fire?
Stephen Verhaeren, Palos Park
Warm, dry, and windy sums it up nicely. Not a drop of rain had fallen in the city since Sept. 28. The fire began on the warm Sunday night of Oct. 8, following an unseasonably warm 85-degree day. Winds were strong and from the SW with gusts as high as 40 mph, causing the fledgling fire to grow and spread rapidly through the dry, wooden city. The fire continued to rage on Monday, a sunny and nearly as warm 80-degree day as the strong, gusty SW winds continued. The weather finally turned cooler on Tuesday as the fire died out, with the high temperature only reaching 62 degrees. The strong SW winds had subsided and were blowing gently from the west.
Read Also: Taste Of Chicago 2021 Schedule
How Windy Is Chicago
Chicagoans may feel their breezy weather justifies the title Windy City, but climatic data tells another story.
Mount Washington, New Hampshire, is actually the windiest city based on average wind speed, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Chicago, with an average wind speed of 9.8 miles per hour, does not make it into the top ten U.S. cities.
Additionally, a study by CoreLogic focusing on high wind gusts labeled Jackson, Mississippi, the windiest locale. Chicago placed 50th on the list.
You Should Learn To Love Chicago Sports
From the major sporting franchises to its die-hard fans, Chicago loves its sports teams. Its in your best interest to become a loyal and passionate fan , rooting for one of Chicagos many professional teams. No matter which team you root for, sports are a fun and competitive way to enjoy time with friends and family.
- Chicago Cubs vs. Chicago White Sox Chicago residents are either north side Cubs fans or south side Sox fans there is no in-between! The Crosstown Classic when the divide between the north and south side of Chicago rears its ugly head.
- Chicago Bears Chicago fans love showing their football fandom at Soldier Field , especially when rivals like the Green Bay Packers are in town.
- Chicago Blackhawks The Blackhawks have dominated the Chicago sports scene, winning three Stanley Cups in recent years. And to think, it wasnt that long ago when their home games werent even televised!
- Chicago Bulls The 90s Bulls were one of the most dominating dynasties in professional sports, and while the Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman era may feel like a thing of the past, its still fun to reminisce on the glory years.
You May Like: Top Strip Clubs In Chicago
General Weather Conditions In Chicago Il
Chicago, IL, is located on the extreme southwestern shore of Lake Michigan and in the northeastern portion of the state. The location averages about 18 days each year with maximum temperatures in excess of 90°F . July is the warmest month with an average high of 84°F and an average minimum of 63°F . January is the coolest month with an average high of 29°F and an average minimum of 14°F . The highest temperature on record for Chicago is 104°F , recorded in June 1988 and July 1995, and the lowest temperature on record is -27°F , recorded in January 1985. About 132 days each year experience temperatures below 32°F , and an average twenty days each year records temperatures below 5°F . Every month has seen temperatures at or below 41°F and every month except June, July and August has recorded temperatures below freezing .
How Much Sun And Rain
Chicago sees some spring showers this month, receiving about 3.4 inches of total precipitation over an average of 12 days.
The sun shines 50% of the day, with an average of 6 clear days. The humidity this month peaks at 77%, with an average of 65% humidity. April is historically the windiest month of the year, with an average wind speed of 11.9 mph .
Don’t Miss: Al’s Italian Beef Chicago
What To Wear In Chicago In October
It would be best to bring a sweater or two. Early in the month, a sweater may be all you need. However, as the month progresses, you may want to add some layers with a medium weight jacket a welcome addition to add to that sweater on the colder days or when touring near the Lake Michigan.
Learn More With Skydeck
No matter what time of year you visit Chicago, the weather at Skydeck is always perfect. Skydeck offers breathtaking views of the city skyline from the second tallest building in North America. So whether the ground is covered in snow or rain, you can see the entire city clearly from 1,353 feet in the air! Get your tickets today!
Read Also: Chicago Strip Clubs
What Is The Chicago Climate
The Chicago climate is known as a continental type. This means you can expect four distinctive seasons with cold winters and warm summers. And though fluctuating temperatures can be expected throughout the year, the spring and fall temperatures are usually mild and comfortable a great time to plan your trip.
Climate And Average Weather Year Round In Chicago Illinois United States
In Chicago, the summers are warm, humid, and wet the winters are freezing, snowy, and windy and it is partly cloudy year round. Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from -6 Â°C to 28 Â°C and is rarely below -15 Â°C or above 33 Â°C.
Based on the tourism score, the best time of year to visit Chicago for warm-weather activities is from mid June to mid September.
Also Check: Best Chicago Strip Clubs
May Events In Chicago
Chicago’s event calendar is full in May, ranging from the celebration of national holidays and seasonal events. In 2021, some events may be canceled so check with official organizers for the latest details.
- Millennium Park’s Crown Fountain: On May 1, the interactive fountain is turned on for the first time of the year, ushering in the summer season.
- Chicago Kids and Kites Festival: This festival is held at Montrose Harbor in early May. You can make a kite with kids for free, see large-form and sports kites, view arts and crafts, eat a funnel cake, get your face painted, and more. Kites will also be available to purchase. This event has not been rescheduled for 2021.
- Memorial Day Parade: On this national holiday, the parade typically begins with a wreath-laying ceremony at 11 a.m. at Daley Plaza, then the parade heads south on State Street from Lake Street to Van Buren Street. The parade has not been rescheduled for 2021.
- Bike the Drive: Enjoy the scenery along iconic Lake Shore Drive on this 30-mile, car-free course. After the ride, hang out in Grant Park for live music, food, and giveaways. The benefit ride is open to all skill levels and abilities. This event will be held virtually in the fall of 2021.
- Maifest: Celebrate German heritage at Lincoln Square, the heart of Chicago’s German Community, with this event which marks the arrival of spring and features a maypole dance, live music, and German food. This event has not been rescheduled for 2021.
Renting And Home Buying When Youre Moving To Chicago Is Easier Than You Think
Whether youre looking for a single, temporary apartment or moving your family into a forever home, now is a good time to rent and buy in Chicago.
Compared to the East Coast and the West Coast, Chicagos housing market is probably the best bargain in North America, says Geoffrey J.D. Hewings, director of University of Illinois Real Economics Applications Laboratory.
Do you plan on renting in Chicago? The median price for a home listing is $1,635. While rental rates have gone down throughout the country, Chicagos median rental cost is just $166 above the national average rent of $1,469.
Also Check: Best Strip Bars In Chicago
Average Temperature In Chicago
The warm season lasts for 3.6 months, from to , with an average daily high temperature above 23 Â°C. The hottest month of the year in Chicago is , with an average high of 28 Â°C and low of 21 Â°C.
The cold season lasts for 3.2 months, from to , with an average daily high temperature below 6 Â°C. The coldest month of the year in Chicago is , with an average low of -5 Â°C and high of 1 Â°C.
Shopping Destinations In Chicago
The Second City has some serious style and is arguably a first-rate shopping destination. Michigan Avenue features a mile-long stretch of tucked away boutiques, restaurants and high-rise malls. For the ultimate Magnificent Mile shopping experience, begin at one end of North Michigan Avenue and make your way to the other .
Looking for something different? Here are a few other shopping destinations youll want to check out in Chicago:
Its not the Gold Coast for nothing! For those looking to drop some serious coin, Oak Street has long been a symbol of affluence for decades. Enjoy everything from high-end designers to local boutiques. But keep your eyes peeled many shops are covertly tucked away into converted townhouses.
For those looking to exert their individuality, Wicker Park has the majority of thrift stores and independent labels. Dont miss Akira, one of Chicagos trendiest and most affordable local brands. Its perfect for a day of window shopping.
State Street was Chicagos first-ever shopping district. While Michigan Avenue is now the most prestigious area, State Street is still well worth the visit. Youll find discount stores, hot lunch destinations and Macys at State Street a local landmark and one of the largest department stores in the world. It even features the largest Tiffanys glass mosaic dome in the U.S.
Don’t Miss: Taste Of Chicago Music Schedule
Whats The Weather Like In Chicago
If youre packing up for a big trip to the Windy City, you might be wondering, Whats the weather like in Chicago? From the sweltering summers to the frigid winters, Chicago weather is ever-changing. Learn all about the Chicago climate with help from the locals at SkyDeck, and start today!
If You Plan On Bringing A Car Be Ready To Call Dibs
Owning a car isnt entirely necessary for Chicagos city life. If you happen to bring one and your home doesnt come with a parking spot, be prepared for no parking signs, tow zones and impossible parallel parking missions. Not only is parking expensive in the city , but you may also need a parking permit depending on where you live. Since the city is blessed with nearly 40-inches of snow each year, Chicagoans depend on street parking in neighborhoods where driveway space is limited.
If you shovel a public parking space, residents think theyre entitled to that space by saving it with lawn chairs, cones and whatever random backyard furniture they can find. This long-standing Chicago tradition is known as dibs.
Herein lies the controversy of parking dibs, notes Sara Boboltz, associate editor of the Huffington Post. Some feel the inconvenience of clearing a spot on the curb grants them a license to call dibs, holding the space open with chairs and assorted debris while theyre not using it. Others feel this is downright selfish. The polarized debate has been known to cause more than a few neighborly squabbles.
You May Like: Best Strip Clubs In Chicago
Temperature And Dew Point
There are 4 weather stations near enough to contribute to our estimation of the temperature and dew point in Chicago.
For each station, the records are corrected for the elevation difference between that station and Chicago according to the International Standard Atmosphere , and by the relative change present in the MERRA-2 satellite-era reanalysis between the two locations.
The estimated value at Chicago is computed as the weighted average of the individual contributions from each station, with weights proportional to the inverse of the distance between Chicago and a given station.
The stations contributing to this reconstruction are:
To get a sense of how much these sources agree with each other, you can view a comparison of Chicago and the stations that contribute to our estimates of its temperature history and climate. Please note that each source’s contribution is adjusted for elevation and the relative change present in the MERRA-2 data.
Things To Know About Chicago
Lake Michigan resembles the sea and spreads out in front of the USs third largest cityMust sees:
- The Loop is the heart of the city where most of the business and shopping is happening. Loop is actually the name of the legendary elevated railway which was built in the 1880s and once finished, the center of town started being referred to as it. Its here where all the shopping is happening. Architecture fans can in particular admire the Tiffany-dome at Macys.
- Chicago also paved the way regarding the development of skyscrapers and is actually much more innovative compared to NYC. Taking a stroll through downtown will take you through the history of skyscrapers. The first ones were built around 1880-1890 and include the Wrigley Building and the Chicago Tribune Tower. An example of the newer and much higher towers is the Trump Tower directly on the Chicago River. A favourite with its beautifully designed fassade is the Aqua from 2009.
- Especially given the numerous skyscrapers, its a must to have a look at Chicago from high above. Great options are the Willis Tower or the John Hancock Building. The latter might actually be the better option as its a bit out of the city center and hence gives a better view of it. And the queues are also much shorter!
- You can also get great views of the skyline from Navy Pier, a theme park near Lake Michigan. Great places to visit are the Adler Planetarium, Millenium Park and the Lincoln Park Zoo.
Art and museums:Neighborhoods:
Read Also: Taste Of Chicago 2021 Schedule